Tuesday, September 05, 2006

bass fishing : Bass Fishing Fever

I am writing this article more towards the Jr. Bass Anglers as well as the young adults that have been bitten by the bug. You must know the one I'm talking about, right? It's the one thing that gives a person what they call "Bass Fever", (don't worry, it's nothing like the Beaver Fever that one would get from drinking contaminated spring water.) When I say that this article is geared more towards the younger generation, believe me, the middle-aged and the more matured (slightly older) generation of anglers already know what I'm talking about, because they have already been bitten some time ago.
Let's face it, once you hook into your first quality bass, you're done for. Yep! Now it's all over for many of the other things in your life because you have been bitten by the bug, and for most of the ones that are bitten, it seems like the "Bass Fever" just gets worse and keeps on spreading.
Let me tell you a little story on how I got "bitten by the bug" many years ago. Back in the early seventies while serving my Country in the U.S. Navy I had a very good friend that had asked me one weekend if I would like to go fishing with him and his brother over the weekend. Now, being a part time (about a twice a year) "Worm, Hook & Bobber" angler, I didn't even know much about what a bass was and hadn't the foggiest on how to catch one so I said, "sure, I'd love to go." Well that weekend my life as a twice-a-year-angler had changed me forever.
Jim, who was the friend that asked me to go, told me not to bring anything but myself. So I showed up at his home (which was very close to the California Delta) on Saturday morning ready to go sit and bob worms for fish. Boy, was I wrong! When we got to the delta, he launched his boat, which was an older wooden boat that must have been made during World War I, and we jumped in the boat and went up river a bit. A few minutes later, Jim stopped the boat and dropped his anchor, and there we sat for a moment.
I picked up a rod and reel that he had loaned me, asking him where the bobbers, hooks, and worms were. He started to smile at me and told me that he forgot to stop and buy (live) worms on the way to the river. I really didn't know what to think now because that's the only way I had ever fished before. Then, Jim reached in a leather bag, pulls out a tackle box, and opens it up.
I was puzzled now, because as I was looking in his tackle box all I saw were some hooks, sinkers, and a few bags of these purple rubber worms (for you older anglers, these were some of the first artificial worms that were made by Tom Mann called Jelly Worms.) Jim told me to hand him my rod so he could set it up for me, so I just kept my eyes glued on what the heck he was doing. Next, Jim hands me the rod with the Jelly Worm (Texas Rigged) and tells me to cast it over by a bunch of lily pads that were about 20 yards from us.
After I made my cast (like bobber fishing) I set my rod down and immediately Jim told me to pick it up and to hold it slightly, keeping the slack out of the line, so I did. Then, all of a sudden something grabbed my line and my pole bent way over. My line was peeling off my reel (shoot, I didn't even know how to set a drag back in those days), so Jim reaches over and tightens my drag and tells me not to give it any slack. Well the rest is history! A whopping five and a half pound largemouth bass. From then on I went every chance I could, and yes! I definitely now had "Bass Fever."


Post a Comment